Sunday, January 18, 2009

Tex-Mex Turkey Enchiladas


My honey man gets the Western Horseman magazine and the November issue had this recipe in it. He was like, "ummmm this looks good." I've been meaning to make it since he showed it to me. Well I finally got around to it last night. Since he has adopted a horse and I was just plowed over by the gas company our weekends of eating out are going to be slim to none. That of course does not break my heart. I love to cook and especially love to cook for someone who appreciates good food. My kiddos bless their hearts are not good eaters. They are the pickiest lil peeps. Wonder where they get that from-- hmmm partially me. I have been doing better about trying new healthier foods and I am encouraging them to do the same. I didn't realize that the recipe would make so many, next time I'm going to cut the recipe in half or we're going to invite friends over.
Here's the recipe if anyone else would like to give these a try. For someone who has never cared much for peppers and onions, these were really yummy!!
2 cups shredded, cooked turkey (I used ground) 1 tsp. ground cumin
1 cup salsa 1/2 tsp oregano
3 ounces cream cheese, cubed 1/2 tsp chili powder
3/4 cup onion, diced 2 cups shredded Mexican-mix cheese
1 cup green and red pepper 8 flour tortillas
1/2 cup green chilies, diced
Combine turkey, 1/4 cup salsa, cream cheese, onion, peppers, green chilies and spices in skillet. Place on low heat, stirring occasionally, until cream cheese is melted. Add 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
Spoon turkey mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll tortillas and place, seam side down, in a lightly greased baking dish. Top with remaining salsa and shredded cheese.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated.
Garnish with lettuce, tomato and olives. (I missed that part. ooops oh well.)

No comments: