Thursday, February 19, 2009

Heads or Tails

Heads- keep my cleaning service going, tails- go back to a "real job". This has been weighing on my mind since I completed my taxes about a week ago. Time for a pro/con list.

Pros to staying self-employed--

  • Make my own hours.
  • I can take and pick up my kids from school.
  • Weekends and holidays off.
  • No overtime.

Cons to staying self-employed--

  • Pay through the nose in taxes
  • Most of the time cannot get a full day of work
  • Have business expenses other than taxes
  • No overtime, not even 35-40 hour weeks (paying hours)

Pros to going back to a "real job"-- (considering going into nursing)

  • Full-time work
  • Possibility of overtime
  • Pay would be a little more than what I make now
  • Chance for health insurance/ life insurance
  • Possibility for other benefits
  • interaction with other co-workers
  • mom will probably get kids on and off to school

Cons of going back to a "real job"--

  • Most likely working weekends and holidays
  • probably need grandma/sitter to get the kids back and forth to school
  • have a boss
  • may have a different schedule every week

I'll add to the list as I think of more and if anyone reading this can think of something I might have overlooked, please leave me a note in the comments. :)

No comments: